Child Protection Guidelines
The parish takes the safety, well-being and inclusion of all children very seriously and has policies and procedures in place to maintain a Child Safe environment.
The Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne's document in line with Child Protection Guidelines is: “May Our Children Flourish” – Code of conduct for caring for children "
This document is available from the Parish Office, 341 Burwood Road, Hawthorn, 3122.
The Australian Jesuit's Policy for safeguarding children and vulnerable adults is:
If anyone wishes to bring a complaint of abuse against any member of staff, present or past, of a Jesuit ministry, they may do so in any of the following ways:
a) If you believe a crime has been committed, contact the police on Sex Crimes unit at:
Box Hill (24 Hrs) 8892 3200
1 Kangerong Rd, Box Hill, VIC 3128
or call 000
b) Contact: Office of Towards Healing - 1800 816 030
c) Contact: Fr Des Dwyer SJ – 8862 4000
d) Contact: Jesuit Provincial's Assistant for Professional Standards,
Mr Simon Davies - 03 9810 7300
Hawthorn Catholic Parish is committed to creating and maintaining a child safe organisation, and has policies and procedures to achieve the Child Safe Standards:
1. Strategies to embed an organisational culture of child safety, through effective leadership arrangements
2. A Child Safe Policy or Statement of Commitment to Child Safety
3. A Code of Conduct that establishes clear expectations for appropriate behaviour with children
4. Screening, supervision, training and other human resource practices that reduce the risk of child abuse by new and existing personnel
5. Processes for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse
6. Strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of child abuse
7. Strategies to promote the participation and empowerment of children.