7pm on Thursday 2nd September and 7pm Friday 10th September 2021 (two different groups)
Update 6/7/21 - The two Confirmation sessions are now fully booked. However you may register your details to join a waiting list. If there are sufficient numbers we will consider having an additional session.
You have asked that your child receive the Sacrament of Confirmation this year, and it is important that you feel very much part of the preparation program so that you can share in this special time with your child.
The Archdiocese of Melbourne and the Victorian Government require the church to limit our numbers for all Masses and ceremonies. Currently, we would hope that 2 adults, the candidate and their sponsor can be in attendance at the Sacrament of Confirmation. We will advise you of the COVID safe restrictions closer to the time of the Sacrament.
There are two nights allocated to us from the Archdiocese of Melbourne, Thursday, 2nd and Friday, 10th September, both ceremonies at 7pm.
Allocation will be on a first come basis.
There are a large number of candidates this year for Confirmation. We will have one class and one rehearsal for each ceremony. These will be held at the Parish Centre, 345 Burwood Rd, Hawthorn. (off Lynch St, next to Billy Lids).
For those receiving the Sacrament on Thursday, 2nd September, the class will be held on Monday, 9th August, 4pm to 5.30pm and for the rehearsal Monday 23rd August, 4pm to 5.30pm.
For those receiving the Sacrament on Friday, 10th September the class will be held on Monday, 16th August, 4pm to 5.30pm and for the rehearsal Monday, 30th August, 4pm to 5.30pm.
Children will bring home a Sacramental Work Book. This contains a number of lessons that will need to be worked on at home. Please go through this work book with your child. We would appreciate your support and encouragement of your child by being involved at home with this aspect of the program.
Children should start to consider their confirmation name in preparation for this sacrament. This should be a saint’s name.
The role of the sponsor is to spiritually walk with the candidate during the preparation for the sacrament. They will assist the young person in being a true witness and disciple of Jesus and represent the community when they present the candidate to the bishop. A sponsor will continue to help the young person fulfil his or her baptismal promises after Confirmation with the help of the Holy Spirit.
Please refer below for information from the Archdiocese of Melbourne regarding saints names and sponsors.
To cover costs we ask that each family contribute $80.00 per child.
If not previously given, a copy of your child’s Baptismal Certificate will need to be sighted by myself (and a copy taken) before classes commence. N.B. I won’t need a baptismal certificate if your child was baptised at the Hawthorn Parish but please indicate this on the form.
To secure your child’s place please
- Complete the application form with payment on trybooking
- a copy of your child’s baptismal certificate (if not already given)
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
The Hawthorn Parish promotes the safety and well-being of children.
COVID safety procedures are mandatory at all Parish events.
Parish Sacramental Co-ordinator
Kristin & Timothy - Sacramental Teachers
Information from the Archdiocese of Melbourne regarding Confirmation
Selecting a Saint’s name:
· Only saints’ names are to be chosen. Alternatively, students may choose their own first name as their confirmation name.
· Ideally, students research and select a saint who inspires them and are able to answer questions about this Saint.
· Normally, students choose a saint of the same sex as themselves.
· One sponsor only
· Only a confirmed Catholic of at least 16 years of age can act as a sponsor. Normally and ideally, the sponsor should be a practicing Catholic.
· The sponsor should not be a parent of the candidate
· The link between confirmation and the sacrament of Baptism is strengthened if one of the child’s Godparents is the sponsor but this is not a requirement.
· At the celebration of Confirmation, the Sponsor sits with candidate, walks behind the candidate to the Bishop during the Anointing with Chrism and, as the candidate kneels, places his/her right hand on the right shoulder of the candidate.
· At Communion time, the sponsor and candidate proceed together to receive Communion. It is expected that the sponsor will receive Communion.
Download a PDF copy of the information above
Registrations for the Confirmation program are via Trybooking